NOWFE 2014 - BURLESQUE & BABYCAKES ON BOURBON!
NOWFE 2014 and The Big Gateaux Show –
Burlesque & Babycakes on Bourbon!
As part of the 2014 New Orleans Wine & Food Experience, The Big Gateaux Show returns for a third time this year. This seductive “after-party” which features a scintillatingburlesque inspired cake competition, celebration and tasting will take place following Friday’s Grand Tasting. Pastry chefs competing for the Grand Prize include chefs Jackie Lopez, Hyatt Regency New Orleans; Alex Hammond, Louisiana Culinary Institute; Vanessa Fiorini, Patisserie V. Marie near Toronto; and Renee Loranger, Hollywood Casino. Each pastry chef will create a grand cake showpiece and mini cupcake tasting portions that include flavors and textures inspired by a Burlesque entertainer. All paired with an array of “liquid assets” including Zonin Prosecco and Sparkling Rosé, Voga Italia, Hendrick’s Gin, Bayou Rum, Sorel and Saint Germain liqueurs. Guests will enjoy the show as the girls get down to their “pastries” in an atmosphere reminiscent of the risqué burlesque clubs.
Hosted by celebrated pastry chef Tariq Hanna of Sucré the party will feature performances by the competition muses, Trixie Minx & a trio of Beauties from Burlesque Ballroom --Bella Blue, Praline Dupre and Piper Marie. DJ Kayatik will pick up the beat as each chef, assisted by the region’s best baking and pastry students, will display their skills and present their spectacular 5-foot cakes and ‘babycakes’ for tasting and judging.
The winning cake presentation will be awarded with a $5000 prize sponsored by Swiss Chalet Fine Foods. “The Big Gateaux Show, in its third year, is always a sell-out," states Chris Ycaza, New Orleans Wine & Food Experience Board President. "People come to New Orleans for the wine and food, but for a little something racy, too.”
Other NOWFE events this year include Wine Dinners on Wednesday, Vinola – a fine wine tasting Thursday afternoon, The Royal Street Stroll that evening, Grand Tastings on Friday and Saturday, and an assortment of seminars.
For more than 21 years the New Orleans Wine & Food Experience has showcased the culinary excellence in our community alongside national and international wines while raising more than $1 Million for local non-profit organizations. This year, in an effort to fight hunger and support culinary education, Café Reconcile will be the beneficiary of 40% of the event proceeds. The remaining 60% will be shared by the Louisiana Restaurant Association Education Foundation's ProStart Program, Delgado Culinary Arts School, New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts’ Culinary Program, the John Folse Culinary Institute and the Edible Schoolyard New Orleans.
WHAT: The 3rd Annual Big Gateaux Show
WHEN: Friday, May 23rd from 8:30 – 11:00 pm
WHERE: Grand Ballroom of the Royal Sonesta Hotel
TIX & INFO: $75 – For tickets and information go to www.NOWFE.com